Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Summer of Sewing!

So, as I have just finished school for the year, I thought I would tell you about my summer sewing plans (In time order):

         1. A 40's/50's dance dress.
My ballroom dance class is doing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", and my boyfriend and I are the youngest couple, and we are also good at tricks, so the dress I wear has certain qualifications that it has to meet in order for me to dance in it (it can't fly up too much, but the skirt has to be loose enough for movement, etc.).  Right now I only have 1 40's dress (the one I made for my sister), but it has a tighter skirt so I can't do all of the tricks in it. Therefore, I will be making a new one, which has to be my first project because the recital is in June.  

My fabric:
    I am going to make a late 40's/50's style shirtdress out of this, because I've always wanted one, it will be perfect for dancing, and it is a lovely 50's teal!

    2: Finish the waistcoat.
    (I am making this as a gift for my boyfriend, and I'm not going to post pictures until it's done)
    I have this mostly done, all I need to do is put in the pockets and sew in the lining.

    3: Finish my stays.
    These have to be done before I can make any more 18th century gowns, jackets, etc., because they are the foundation for the rest of my clothes.

    4: Make panniers.
    I am going to make the kind that have two parts, like Leomomi's.  I'll need to make panniers because me next project is...

    5: A Francaise/Sacque back gown (!)
    I am so excited about this one!  I can't wait to start it, which I guess is good, because hopefully it'll help me get done with the other ones faster.

    My fabric:

    It's a cotton "chintz" fabric with about 5 colors, which would be more expensive than just 1 color because they would have to make 5 different blocks, 1 for each color.  It was a status symbol in the same way as silk was.  There are several  extant red print gowns, many of which are cotton print.  Therefore I feel comfortable with using this fabric. 
    (UPDATE: this fabric is taking FOREVER to ship, so unfortunately it may have to be moved down the list a bit if it doesn't get here before I need it.)

    My inspiration for the gown:

    I like this, although it is probably silk, and I don't have enough fabric to make a matching petticoat.

    This gown is closer to what I want.  It is a cotton print, with sleeve ruffles, and it has a non-matching petticoat (Mine will probably be red).  I also want to include the narrow tucker around the neckline.

    6: A Quarter-back gown.

    My fabric:

    This is a really pretty 1-color block-print cotton, in the same fabric as the one above.  I'm going to make the gown out of this, but there is so much fabric I might be able to make more things.  (It would make a nice pet-en l'air).


    I want my dress to look exactly like this one, but in red print and as an open gown/polonaise.

    7. A new "nice" apron and cap
    I have some linen check material that I am going to make a more stylish cap and apron, for wearing with nicer gowns, like these.

    8. A petticoat that will match both gowns.
    (Probably red)

    (The "If I have time and/or money" category)

    9. A blue linen roundgown
    This will be something I can wear to my site because it's more of a working-class type gown, but it will have trimming. It will be in this linen:
       

10. A new linen shift

11. A Costume Close-up jacket
In this material:

A grey linen-cotton material with a white stripe.

Well, I think that's about the most I'll be able to do in one summer, and hopefully I'll be able to get it all done. I'll try to do better and post some dress diaries as I go along.  These are some exciting projects!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment