Saturday, August 4, 2012

Big Hair: The Planning Stages

I have been invited to a late 18th/early 19th century ball that is taking place this coming week.  I plan on having my second dress of the summer done in time to wear, but for this ball, I want to go all out and do something I have never done: 18th century hair.  I've decided I want a pouf, like Lauren's, and not a hedgehog, because my hair is too long for it (seriously, my head would look like a huge rat's nest if I tried to pull that off).  I tried Lauren's tutorial, but the back looked terrible because the extra hair that went over the pouf didn't have anyplace to go, and I couldn't figure out what to do with the back.  To remedy this, I've gone on a YouTube hunt.  Here are some videos I've found:

18th Century Pouf Tutorial by jennylafleur

Part 2

1700's French Revolution inspired hair - Marie Antoinette/Carlotta by MistiqueMakeup

 Hairdo How-To: Marie Antoinette/18th Century Do by taniathepirate

So I've made my plan:

Step 1: Put hair in foam rollers to give it some body and volume. Make sure hair at back of neck is in 2 curlers, 1 on each side.

Step 2: Undo curlers, all except for the 2 on the base of neck. Brush out a little.

Step 3: Section off hair front and back.  Braid back section of hair upside down (this is where sisters come in handy) and form into a braided bun on top of head ( this will be useful to pin into).  

Step 4: Move front hair forward.  Pin rat on top of head on front of bun. Slightly tease front hair and pin in place over rat.  Pull remaining front hair into a ponytail behind pouf.

Step 5: Make ponytail into a hair bow. (That seems like a very 18th century thing to do, doesn't it?)

  
Beautiful Wedding Hair Bow Tutorial by CinthiaTruong

Step 6: Take down rollers at the back of neck to make curls to hang over your shoulders.

Step 7: SPRAY!!!! 

So that's the plan.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rebecca



No comments:

Post a Comment